[image_frame style=”framed” height=”415″ width=”600″]http://www.nessllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Winterize.jpg[/image_frame]
Winterizing your home may seem insignificant, and it may easily get put on the backburner. In the past you may have been through winters without damage to your home. If this is the case, wonderful, you may already have some winterizing in place; however, there are always unexpected events. The temperature unexpectedly dips lower than average; there is an unusually strong wind that buffets your house, or your neighbor breaks the waterline for the whole block. Whatever the case, don’t let your home be subject to winter damage. Winterize it now.
There are some large projects like replacing old windows that may be a bit overwhelming, but some things are simple maintenance. Here are some simple tips to make your home winter safe.
- Check for air leaks around windows and doors. Seal them with weather stripping or calk.
- If you have storm windows, install them.
- Replace worn roof shingles or tiles. Remember, water will be sitting on your roof if it snows.
- Clean out the gutters and spray water down the downspouts to clear away debris.
- If your gutters freeze solid they can rip off the house and allow water to damage the walls and foundation below. If your gutters do freeze, try pouring de-icer on top of the ice to clear them.
- Clear away all debris and vegetation from the foundation.
- Inspect siding for crevices, cracks, and exposed entry points around pipes; seal them.
- Seal foundation cracks against water and mice.
- Inspect sill plates for dry rot or pest infestation.
- Check your crawlspace for moisture and ensure your floor insulation is in place.
- Secure, seal, and insulate crawlspace entrances.
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes. Add pipe heaters if necessary. They can be purchased at most home improvement stores.
There are obviously many ways to winterize your home, and these tips may only be a starting point. For more in-depth tips contact a professional company capable of handling all of your needs. Ness LLC’s 360 program covers every aspect of your home, big or small. They can inspect your crawlspace, winterize your home, or perform major construction if needed. Take care of your home, and avoid possible messes in the future.